Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Urban chicken - where to start?

We built the chook pen first and then waited another six months until the first hens set foot on the ground. The roost was last and came after the chooks with the result that they never got used to the roost and rather sat behind the shed under an old door on an angle. What a pity I missed taking a photo of the five hens lined up under that door.Read my blog on the chook minding arrangement with my neighbour here. http://www.urbanveggies.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/getting-closer-to-having-chickens.html

The most comprehensive and short summary of holding chickens I found published by Permaculture WA.
Unfortunately the link is broken and this info sheet is no longer connected to their website. However the sheet is still available from their site. Therefore I am publishing its content here again acknowledging the good work of Charles Otway from Terra Perma Design who provided the information in the first place.

I hope this assists you in first considerations about having chickens in your backyard. I am getting really excited about connecting more people with information about chicken in an urban setting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment